Thursday 26 May 2011

Enthralled (and Terrified) by Miss Brodie



"'It has been suggested again that I should apply for a post at one of the progressive schools, where my methods would be more suited to the system than they are at Blaine.  But I shall not apply for a post at a crank school.  I shall remain at this education factory.  There needs must be a leaven in the lump.  Give me a girl at an impressionable age, and she is mine for life'

The Brodie set smiled in understanding of various kinds.  Miss Brodie forced her brown eyes to flash as a meaningful accompaniment to her quiet voice.  She looked a mighty woman with her dark Roman profile in the sun.  The Brodie set did not for a moment doubt that she would prevail.  As soon expect Julius Caesar to apply for a job at a crank school as Miss Brodie.  She would never resign.  If the authorities wanted to ger rid of her she would have to be assasinated."

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark

6 comments:

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

If the authorities wanted to ger rid of her she would have to be assasinated.

The perfect Miss Brodie quote! I think I first encountered her when I was thirteen or fourteen - the perfect age to be both captivated by her and in perfect sympathy with her girls. It's certainly a book I never tire of rereading and I do love the Maggie Smith film as well.

A Bookish Space said...

This sounds so perfect. I have (two!) copies of this on my selves, but have still to read one. I love the cover of your Penguin edition.

Joan Hunter Dunn said...

I read Miss Brodie really recently and so your quotes have kept it a little more fresh in my mind. Thank you.

Darlene said...

I am feeling out of the loop for not having read this, something to rectify if for the references alone.

Love that picture!

Alex Daw said...

Guess what I've just borrowed! Muriel Spark's biography of Mary Shelley!

StuckInABook said...

Great quotation! I must re-read this - I was underwhelmed the first time around, but have since grown to love Spark through other novels.