Sunday 15 May 2011

In My Book Bag (2)


[In My Book Bag highlights library loans and book purchases (second-hand, new or e-format) that make their way into Rochester Reader HQ.]
****

Since acquiring a Sony Reader in March, I have been steadily building up an e-library of various books that I have been wanting to read for a while, along with a few obscure titles that appealed.  I am especially happy to be able to access humourous books from the early 20th century as well as lesser-seen classical works.  Darlene kindly reminded me about Girlebooks who have a mouth-watering range of ebooks written by women, many of which I haven't been able to find in paper format in my neck of the woods.  Books like Louisa May Alcott's 'Little Women' series (I had no idea there were quite a few sequels) as well as books by American and British humourists.

So my current book bag is virtually laden with a number of e-books and a smaller selection of hard/paperbacks. 

A few weeks ago I received a lovely new edition of Mary Stewart's first novel, Madam, Will You Talk?.  I ordered this from the Book Depository as soon as I learnt of the stylish new publications from Lyn.  I read a handful of Stewarts in High School and enjoyed then immensely.  I haven't read this one and hope that it'll be great escapist literature for a rainy day.

The Winds of Heaven by Monica Dickens is a free e-book version I found on the Web so sadly not a luxurious Persephone edition. I'm looking forward to reading this especially after all the great reviews I've read by fellow bloggers.




Roast Beef, Medium by Edna Ferber is not a title that would usually appeal to a vegan but the write-up was humourous and entertaining and how could I refuse a book about a travelling saleswoman in the early 20th century with a wry sense of humour?

Unnatural Death by Dorothy L. Sayers is the third novel in the Lord Peter Wimsey series and my next read on the road to advancing in the As My Whimsy Takes Me Challenge. I've loved the previous two so can't wait to visit Lord Peter's London again.




The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith has been in my wish list for a few years and it's now residing in my Reader, patiently awaiting my attention.  I love books with illustrations and these look promising and entertaining.

I have a few classic comic novels in reserve for days when I need a lift.  They include well-known works as Three Men in a Boat... books that I have heard about all throughout my life but that, for some reason or other, I haven't yet read.  There's a great sense of anticipation and expectation with these books and it gives me a warm feeling to know that I'll finally have read them and be 'in on the joke'.



Bones under the Beach Hut by Simon Brett is the latest book in the Fethering Mysteries set on the beautiful West Sussex coast.  This series has become an annual staple after I discovered it a few years ago and made my way through all the then available books in order.  The detecting duo consist of two ladies in their fifties who have a keen nose for murder...

That's all for now...  I have a couple of books winging their way to me from the Book Depsitory and I am seriously considering buying my second Whipple soon... but can I stand the two-week wait?!  In the meantime, there's thankfully plenty to read but sadly less time to devote to it whilst I am in the midst of studying for next month's exams.  Oh for more reading hours in the day!

13 comments:

lyn said...

Girlebooks is a great resource. Their e-books are beautifully formatted. I've downloaded the Ferber as well although I haven't read it yet. I enjoyed Diary of a Nobody but Three Men in a Boat (to say nothing of the Dog) is hilarious. It probably helped that I first "read" it on audio read to me by Ian Carmichael who also read most of the Wimsey books. One of my favourite narrators.

Anonymous said...

What a great collection in your book bag! I have several titles from Girlebooks on my iPad right now too. The Diary of a Nobody is great, hope you enjoy it. I finally read Whose Body? and just found a copy of Clouds of Witness so I'm finally on my way for the As My Whimsy Takes Me Challenge!

Ann said...

'Little Men' was the first book I put onto my kindle. I'd read it as a child, but for some reason it and 'Jo's Boys' are not as easy to get hold of as 'Little Women' and 'Good Wives'. I read both over a weekend and had a wonderfully nostalgic time.

Cristina (Rochester Reader) said...

Lyn: I had no idea that Carmichael narrated that! I must try to find it :-) I have a copy of the one narrated by Hugh Laurie (I do like listening to him!) but I'm doubtful as to whether it's an unabridged version. I wonder if I should listen to it first and read the novel later. Glad that you enjoyed 'Nobody' too - it sounds like I'm in for a treat with these!

Kristin: Thank you! I hope you enjoyed the DLS - I thought 'Clouds' was good too and with a more complicated mystery. Let me know when you have a post so I can link to it :-)

Annie: Those sound like bliss! I must read them :-)

Thomas Hogglestock said...

How funny I just bought Little Men last Saturday at a yard sale. I have read any of her work and since it was only fifty cents.

Darlene said...

Oh Cristina, you have some wonderful reading to take your mind off of the two week wait for a Whipple to arrive. The Diary of a Nobody is absolute bliss and The Winds of Heaven is lovely. But I can't stand the suspense, at the risk of sounding like a tongue twister...which Whipple would it be?

said...

"Little Men," WACOS, you should read "My Life As A Small Boy" by Wally Cox.

Cristina (Rochester Reader) said...

Thomas: Great find! I haven't read any of hers either although saw 'Little Women' ages ago.

Darlene: I love your alliteration :-) I have decided on 'They Were Sisters' since it keeps cropping up and Thomas did a post on it and the DVD! It seems like it's going to be completely different from 'High Wages' so I'm definately intrigued. I have the beautiful Persephone Classics copy of 'Someone at a Distance' waiting for me in the UK so that'll be my third Whipple.

Tor: Welcome to my blog and thanks for visiting! Thank you for the recommendation... I'll check it out.

Jo said...

Lots of lovely reading to be done. I wish there were more hours in the day as well!

I have nearly caught up with the Fethering mysteries - a good easy read.

Good luck with the exams.

Rose said...

It is interesting to know what people are gathering/planning to read over the next few weeks. They Were Sisters prompted the best book group discussion I think we've ever had, so I really hope it pays off for you too.

Cristina (Rochester Reader) said...

Jo: Thank you! :-) I hope to put up a short review of the last 'festive' Fethering mystery soon.

Rose: Thanks... it sounds like it's going to be quite a read :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cristina! Thanks for dropping by my blog! The book bag in your post is so pretty! I've been saving a bunch of public domain books in my cellphone, too, even ones that I'm not sure I'll even get around to reading, like Plato's Symposium, lol (though I've read parts in college).

Reading Tea Leaves said...

A great collection of titles here Cristina. For me the jury is out on e-reading/Kindles etc but no doubt my mind will be changed in due course!

I'm with you on the lack of reading time - there will never be anything like enough hours in the day for me to read as many books as I would like!

Off to have a catch up now. It's been a while since I had a chance to pop over.

Jeanne
x