Thursday 16 September 2010

Agatha Christie Week

It's Agatha Christie Week and the 120th anniversary of this famous author's birth!  I first discovered Agatha Christie in my school library in my early teens and was hooked ever since.  I have probably read about half of her mystery novels (the Poirots being my favourite) but have been quite lax in reading any more. This is probably due to the love that I have for the wonderful adaptations with David Suchet (although the current episodes are not my favourites).  I know most of the stories by now... but this year I decided to read Agatha Christie in chronological order and to reintroduce myself to some of her other sleuths along the way.


Do pop over to the excellent Agatha Christie site as they have lists of events at the Torquay Agatha Christie Festival (if you're lucky enough to be in that beautiful spot) and also have several competitions going on.  Our local libraries in Kent usually have an interesting display of Christie books so that is also a good place to check out if you're interested.

If you're in London, Brown's Hotel in Mayfair are having a special Christie-themed tea which sounds quite delicious and fun.  If you're an established fan, or would like to sample her works, why not enter this fabulous competition to win each and every Christie book in your language?

I'm off to re-read the very first Christie (and Poirot) novel... The Mysterious Affair at Styles and am looking forward to working my way through all 80 plus books.

1 comment:

A Bookish Space said...

I was introduced to Agatha Christie through my mother. I've never been one for blood, so that when she said that Agatha Christie wrote detective stories I wasn't really convinced that I would enjoy these. Lucikly my mum persevered and bought me an omnibus edition of some of Agatha Christie's works, and the rest they say is history! I read all her works when I was a teenager, and think that they are due a revist soon.