Wednesday 8 September 2010

Return to Corduroy Mansions - Next Week!


Yes, it's that time of year again when Alexander McCall Smith turns his attention to his perennially popular online novel, Corduroy Mansions.  The third instalment - A Conspiracy of Friends - commences on Monday, 13 September 2010 and runs until December 2010.

I hope to read the second instalment in book form soon and I'm tempted to rush into the third online.  It's quite cheering to visit the Telegraph page each morning to enjoy Iain McIntosh's comical drawings first thing... and then taking in the hilarity of the chapter headings before you even begin to read the chapter.

I'm used to following these novels in Autumn and Winter in the UK - a cosy antidote to the darkening days - but this time I will be following its initial progress in a very hot South Africa.  It'll feel strange but it should allay some of my homesickness.

You can follow the daily chapters online here or opt to receive daily podcasts of the audio version - read by Andrew Sachs - further down on the same page. 

I only hope that he'll find time to continue with the lovely Scotland Street series in the Scotsman this year, so that I'll be able to read it next year when it is published in book form.  Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Reading Tea Leaves said...

So good to see you back.

I really like your new-look blog. It's a good idea to have the stand alone pages I'm thinking of doing this with my blog if I can sort out the technology!

I always look forward to a new AMC offering and will seek out the Corduroy Mansions novels.

Jeanne
x

Cristina (Rochester Reader) said...

Hi Jeanne. Nice to see you again too :-) Thank you for the compliment! Yes, it's great that Blogger has finally provided some extras and updates for us. If you need any help, please let me know (my e-mail address is in the About Me page). It's quite quick to setup the pages.
I thought the Corduroy Mansions novel very good and I will be reading the second soon. In the meantime, I'm saving each chapter of the third instalment so I can read those at a later date.