Wednesday 23 March 2011

Currently Hooked on... Laurel and Hardy


There's nothing like watching an L&H short to swiftly chase away the blues!  I've been re-watching some of these since the end of last week and it never fails to make me grin - if not splutter with sudden laughter.  I've also come across a few that I hadn't seen before - thanks to my brother - which is such a pleasant delight.

Twice Two (1933)
One of my favourite shorts is Brats wherein Laurel and Hardy also portray their own offspring, who obviously take after their fathers. Clever, cute and comical to see these two grown men behave (legitimately for once!) like little children, surrounded by giant furniture to add perspective.


Brats (1930)

I just love these men.  So gifted... they excelled equally at slapstick, word-play and subtle humour.  Even a cocked eyebrow from Hardy or a silly shrug from Laurel makes me smile.  Hardy's musical interludes are sublime and watching them dance together or do a little spontaneous twirl is sheer joy.  This is truly comfort watching and I have them on in the background sometimes just to cheer things up.


Towed in a Hole (1932)
  
L&H Jeep Die Cast Model - A gift I gave my Dad a few years ago - it still sits on top of his monitor.

3 comments:

Darlene said...

Oh my goodness...that jeep is fantastic! Your Dad must have been so pleased with it, Cristina.

You brought back memories of me watching L&H every now and then on Saturday mornings as a child. My father couldn't resist pausing in the room to watch for a bit.

Cristina (Rochester Reader) said...

Thank you, Darlene, he was :-) L&H are very close to my heart (and my family's) and it's good to be reminded of that every now and again.

Ann Summerville said...

Great post.
Ann